Ecocert is a Certification and Certification Body in France and active since 1991. Currently, Ecocert is one of the best-known certifications for its international standards for natural and organic cosmetics and for its very strict control.
To ensure an ecological cosmetic product, the ECOCERT standard establishes:
- The use of ingredients derived from renewable resources produced by environmentally friendly processes. ECOCERT therefore controls the absence of GMOs, parabens, phenoxyethanol, nanoparticles, silicon, PEG, synthetic fragrances and dyes, animal-derived ingredients (unless they are naturally produced by them: milk, honey, etc.) Biodegradable or recyclable packaging nature.
- A minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming to achieve for certification:
- For both labels, ECOCERT Standard requires that at least 95% of total ingredients come from natural origin.
- For natural and organic cosmetic labels, at least 95% of all herbal ingredients of the formula are to be found, and at least 10% of all ingredients come from organic farming.
- For the natural cosmetic label it is stated that at least 50% of all vegetable ingredients in the formula and at least 5% of all ingredients come from organic farming.